Sunday 5 April 2015

Donating my hair! Going from Long hair to Short hair

Happy Easter everyone!


First of all, that is my hair. I cut off 13 inches of hair last December and donated it to Little Princess Trust.  I've been sitting on this for a good few months because I wasn't sure if I wanted to share it. However, I decided that it was finally time to talk about it here on my blog because donating my hair is something I've wanted to do for the longest time now.

I first wanted to donate my hair about 10 years ago, but I never did. I have cut my hair short before (about the same length as it is now), but I never really grew it out until it was long enough to get it cut short.

Bit of background, I used to do ballet, so I used to have to do my hair up and that's why I never really cut it short. In my life, I've had it cut from quite long to a lob/bob 3 times, including this time! I love having long hair as I've always been very girly and I loved putting my hair up in fancy (but extremely messy) "up dos". I loved copying girls in magazines and doing my hair has always been something I enjoyed. There was also a time when I liked putting it all over my face and trying to scare people like the girl from The Ring...

Fast forward to now, and I still love doing my hair, especially as the heat tools I own have increased from a plain hairdryer to straighteners and curling wands. But despite that, my hair has remained quite healthy and I grew it out to the longest it's ever been. So, with the support of my mother, I cut off most of that and decided to fulfill my childhood dream of donating my hair.


Here is the before and after. I tried not to move the camera and tried to stand in the same spot, but the difference speaks for itself. I wore this pink dress from Boohoo as it was the only top I had that wasn't black or needed a wash. 

I decided to donate my hair to Little Princess Trust as they seem to be reputable and they are clear about what happens to the hair that is being donated. Here is a link to their page on donating hair as I think they explain it better than I can.

I'm not trying to brag about how "kind and good" I am or ask you to praise me. This was a personal decision, that I have wanted to make for 10 years and I wanted to share it in the hopes that if one of you who are thinking about cutting your hair short, even if it's just to follow the new trends, then you could consider donating your hair as well.

I don't have a sob story to share, I don't have any particular deep meaning in cutting my hair, it's just something I wanted to do.

If you're considering the chop, consider donating if you fit the requirements. You don't have to, but if you're curious then do take a look.

Next Sunday, I'll be posting about things to consider before the chop which is relevant even if you don't want to donate, and how I am getting on with short hair. If you have any questions you want me to answer, then please let me know in the comments below!

Signing off now

Dusty Foxes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please leave a comment and check back because I'm going to try and reply to every comment. Feel free to leave links because I love reading new blogs and if you want a more direct response, feel free to tweet me @dustyfoxes or email me at dustyfoxesbeauty@gmail.com