Sunday 29 March 2015

P10P Review: Colab Dry Shampoo New York


Hello! Before I get into the review, I thought I'd mention that last Monday, I guest posted my 5 product face at Kat's Beauty Tales, Katrina is a lovely blogger who hasn't been blogging that long, but has a great blog! Go check her out. She's really friendly so comment and say hi!

Onto the actual review, I recently finished this and I originally wasn't going to include aerosol dry shampoos as part of my Project 10 pan but it's taking longer than expected and I wanted to feel like I'm getting somewhere.

I love dry shampoo. It saves me when I have been lying down too much or if it has rained or if I wear my headphones/beanie/hat too much. If you don't know what it is, it's basically something to help absorb grease in your hair and give it a refresh - without needing to wash it! (it also gives volume and some people use it after washing their hair for the volume as well) I tend to use dry shampoo on second day hair as I like to wash my hair every other day, but sometimes it gets a bit gross and lank. The most well known brand and the one I compare all others to is Batiste, so if you're familiar with that then this review may be more useful. If not, then hopefully it'll still be useful!

The Colab dry shampoo is known as Ruth Crilly (amodelrecommends)'s dry shampoo and has 5 scents (though the range is expanding). I chose the scent New York, which is described as a fruity fragrance and I would agree with that. I personally love fruity scents, but I'm not a fan of coconut-y scents so this suited me. The scent lasted most of the day on me, but it wasn't offensively strong. It made my hair smell nice, but didn't interfere with my perfume or anything like that, so that was good.

The packaging looks really trendy and comes in 2 sizes, a large can (which I had) and a small can for travel. I like that the cap and bottle colour matches the scent and the pattern for each is different as well. I feel that the design was very well thought out and I really liked that. If you follow Ruth Crilly, she always (to me anyway) seems very on trend and the design seems to follow that. Besides that, it is just a normal aerosol so there isn't much to it.

The original launches have a "sheer invisible formula" as stated on the can and it's marketed as being invisible, even on dark hair, which is a big plus if you have black/brown hair like me. Compared to Batiste, I would say that this is invisible, but if you spray too close to the roots or spray on the same spot for too long, this does come up white as well. If that happens, just run your fingers through it and spread the product onto other (greasier) parts of your hair. I like that it isn't too white and it was easy to use.

I tend to spray this onto the underside of the roots of my hair (lifting sections and spraying under) then "messing" it into my hair. It works quite well, but if you have very greasy hair, then it may not be as absorbent as you need. I find this works best if you just want a bit of a refresh and some volume, like before a night out or if you (like me) wash your hair at night and your hair doesn't look its best the next morning. If you have Snape like hair, or if you tend to use dry shampoo on worse case emergencies where you need something that can really do the job (and quickly!) then this product probably isn't for you.

Personally, I think I may repurchase this as it's less work than Batiste, and it isn't too pricey at £3.49 for the big bottle, though I would probably wait until it's on sale (like I do just about everything). It does actually work (to some extent) and the scents seem nice so could even be used as hair perfume if you wanted to do that.


Have you tried this product? Let me know what you think in the comments below and let me know your favourite scents!

Signing off now,

Dusty Foxes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please leave a comment and check back because I'm going to try and reply to every comment. Feel free to leave links because I love reading new blogs and if you want a more direct response, feel free to tweet me @dustyfoxes or email me at dustyfoxesbeauty@gmail.com