Sunday 22 February 2015

How I feel about Blogger/YouTube Recommendations? Rant

So, this post is not really anything similar to what I've done so far on my blog, but it is still something I wanted to share with all of you.



Word of warning: If you don't like people's opinions on things, you're free to click away from this post right now. If you can't understand that someone may have a different opinion from you, then please click away. OK? You have been warned.

This is just my opinion, and while I'm willing to hear other people's opinions (feel free to leave yours in the comments below), as always, with the internet, it's a hard thing to put your own opinion out there. People tend to pick up on anything you say that's "wrong" and sometimes can get quite nasty about it. So hopefully the little disclaimers work.

So now all that is done, let's get onto the actual post.




Today I wanted to talk a little bit about makeup/beauty/anything at all, and how with the increase in blogging and YouTube "stars", perceptions have changed. But this is from my perspective and my experiences. What I have experienced is probably very different to your experiences.

The first thing I wanted to talk about was the idea that an item is so needed in your collection that you become obsessed with it. I am 100% guilty of this. London Beauty Queen actually did a great post on cult products here, which actually got me thinking about this. It feels like because so many people rave about certain products (and normally this is after they have been sent them) I need to have that same palette that I really cannot afford or that expensive cleanser that will probably break me out.

I have been guilty of buying something purely because of the hype around it. I'm lucky that most of the time, it hasn't been bad and I've actually really loved the product, but sometimes, they are lacking. For example, something for me that hasn't been that great despite rave reviews is the Crownbrush set I reviewed here. Don't get me wrong, I did really like it, but it just did not live up to the hype. Something else that I felt didn't live up to the hype was the Tanya Burr Individual Eyelashes. When they launched, everyone was saying- "even though I wasn't a falsies girl before, these are so easy". I got them and ended up with an eyelash stuck to my eyebrow and I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. I feel that if I had just gotten them because they were good. I would have been ok with a few failures, but the hype was that it was so easy that it was basically fool-proof just made me feel really down. I've tried them again since and I do agree that they are nice, I just feel let down by the hype.

One of the things that frustrates me the most is how some products are great during the review, and then the person never uses it again. Or worse, when you see them saying in a few months that they gave it away because it wasn't working for them. I know that there are those who get paid to do positive reviews, and sometimes I get so frustrated, I stop following them completely. It's just so annoying!

But what about the products that really do work? I'm talking about things like the Urban Decay Naked palette, or the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. I've tried these things and they are already things I love and adore, but at the same time, they are really hyped up as well. It's confusing to know what to get and what to skip! I tend wait and see how the hype is after a while and assess then. Monthly favourites are a good way of seeing what someone has been loving (though more and more are getting sponsored as well... ahem Audible).

I remember when I first got into makeup, a complete newbie, I remember thinking that my one eyeshadow palette (that was a bunch of really shimmery blue and green and purple colours) with the set of 4 makeup brushes from Claire's made me so cool. I was 17 so I can't even use the excuse of being young and silly. The thing was, I had better than my friends, so obviously, I thought I was great. Then I started reading blogs and watching YouTube tutorials and I can honestly say that 95% of my collection is based on a "beauty guru" (I use the term loosely) recommendation. When I went to the US for the first (and only) time, I remember being so obsessed with getting the Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso and the Wet and Wild Comfort Zone palette I completely ignored the cost and bought it. Luminoso isn't the most flattering shade on me (same with Sleek Rose-Gold blush). I just feel that most of the beauty bloggers I watch and I follow are paler than I am, so what works for them doesn't work for me. But when you're starting out, you don't realise that. I was so consumed with the need to own it, I didn't even think about how Rose Gold blush didn't suit me.

I'm starting to rant a bit about this, but I'm just so curious as to what makes these products that I know won't suit me so appealing? I see a lot of YouTubers rocking a smokey eye or a colourful makeup look or the Kim K contour and I try and emulate that. But what works on them doesn't necessarily work for me. It's a different lifestyle. They wear full on makeup and film videos, which is fine, in fact, it's almost necessary (because there will be those nasty commenters). I don't need contour/highlight/blush/lip liner/lipstick/smokey eye/false lashes/full coverage foundation/all of those for a quick pop around the shops. But I have a collection that mirrors some of the smaller YouTubers or the more streamlined ones (or even larger than some!). I have 4 different red lipsticks and I never wear them (though I am trying now in spirit of Project 10 pan). I feel so frustrated when I think about it because before I got into watching these, I never felt the need to even put on makeup. Hardly anyone where I grew up wore it (mainly because my school was very strict about makeup. Even a base coat on nails wasn't allowed). But sometimes I feel the need to put on a full face of slap because some of my favourite blogger/vloggers apologise for not wearing makeup. That is insane how much has changed in the last few years for me personally. I went from thinking 5 pounds on a product was expensive to spending £40 on an eyeshadow palette (with less than 1000 shades! Oh goodness!).

I am just still so easily influenced. For example, nearly everyone raves about MAC 217 brush. I want it so much, but I have so many eye brushes, I can do a smokey eye with new brushes for a week and
still have some left over (this may be a slight exaggeration, but not that much). Every time someone mentions it, I go online and look at it, look at dupe posts, look at similar items and eventually I'll buy a cheaper alternative. But I still want the 217 that everyone talks about, even though I'm perfectly happy with what I have. (Same thing goes for things like NARS Sheer Glow and anything Charlotte Tilbury). It's just getting to be a repetitive cycle almost, which is why I decided to go on Project 10 pan (see link above) and stop buying everything someone says is good!

But to end on a more positive note since I am now a blogger and I still love all the enablers that I call bloggers/vloggers, let's talk about the good side of things. While there have been a good few "misses" in my experience, there are a lot of things I have to say helped. For one thing, I've stopped thinking I was the bomb for having green glitter on my lids (with lots of fallout on my cheeks).  But it's also great for finding new looks which I can duplicate with my stash now, it's great for learning tips and tricks like using a post it note for a smokey eye (from Amelia Liana mostly, since she rocks a smokey eye) and what bronzers are the ones for contouring as well as products that may not work for me. I have chosen a few of my favourite blogger recommendations as well as the 2 I mentioned earlier that I liked but did not live up to the hype in the header picture and as you can see, there're more hits than misses (and these aren't all the great ones, just a few). Reading blogs and looking at swatches can really help when deciding what to get. I've always looked at reviews and things before spending a lot on a product like my camera or laptop to decide what suits my preferences and I now I read them for beauty recommendations! Following a blog means that I can get to understand what products work for them then decide which ones may work for me! Knowing a person's skin type or their previous preferences means that if it matches mine, the products they recommend might work for me

I've learnt (after all of this) that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another, what looks good on someone may not look good on me and just because everyone I watch/read likes something doesn't mean I will. I think the key to weeding out the negatives of my obsession is to be an informed watcher. I think watching a lot of a person's videos can give you an idea of the things that they like, and whether or not that's good for you. I've learnt now, that something that say... Erica from AlwaysCosmeticJunkie on YouTube (I love her, go check her out, as well as all of the other people I link) recommends because it suits her pale skin, may not work for my medium skin tone though she really honest about her opinions. I love her Hot or Not Videos to really get an idea of what to look at.

 I've learnt that not all people on the internet are about giving real reviews, sometimes they are sponsored (without disclosing, which basically sucks if the product isn't actually that great) and those people may not be worth trusting every word they say (though I am guilty of watching things like tutorials for ideas). I really like Miss Budget Beauty, since she is always very honest and very clear about her views on sponsorship and she really feels like she's recommending things that she really likes and warning you away from things that you might not. Though I must admit, I have liked things she has not and disliked things she has. Which has taught me that in the end, my makeup is about me, and if I decide that the green glitter fallout is my look, I am definitely going to rock it like no one else can!

Rant over now, but let me know in the comments below what you think of posts like these and whether or not I should stop doing them. I feel like I want to do these every now and again, but not if you don't like them and think I should stop. Also let me know how you feel about YouTube and blogger recommendations. Love them/hate them/take them with a pinch of salt like I do? Let me know!

I always try to reply my comments within 24 hours so check back and maybe we can start a nice discussion in the comments? Also, I have a new snazzy commenting system which let's you know when I reply!

Signing off now

Dusty Foxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please leave a comment and check back because I'm going to try and reply to every comment. Feel free to leave links because I love reading new blogs and if you want a more direct response, feel free to tweet me @dustyfoxes or email me at dustyfoxesbeauty@gmail.com